I really can't complain, this pregnancy has been great. Other than feeling crampy (A LOT), oh and heartburn ... I have felt just fine. Baby is healthy and always sounds/looks great on the monitor! With my history of preterm labor and delivery, my OB has been very cautious and aggressive with how she treats my cramping. It started around 27 weeks. I had to leave work early, which I hated to do. I went to to OB office, they checked me and found no dilation, put me on the monitor and saw uterine irritability. They gave me a shot of terbutaline, which did nothing but make my heart race. My OB prescribed 30 mg of Procardia to take daily and ordered me to take it easy. I did ok, until the following week. I felt crampy again, despite the Procardia, so my OB wanted to see me again. Once again, no dilation and uterine irritability on the monitor. So ... my first dose of celestone, a fetal fibronectin test (which was - ), Procardia twice a day, and progesterone injections weekly. I received another dose of celestone the next day along with my first dose of Progesterone ... oh and I think I got my Rhogam that same day ... I felt like a pin cushion!!
I was doing ok over the next week or so, trying to take it easy when I could and taking my Procardia ... along with weekly OB appointments. When I hit my 31st week, I felt a little different. My cramping was more uncomfortable and I felt pressure which I hadn't felt before. So, I left work about an hour early and headed in to triage at Methodist to be monitored, checked, and have another fetal fibronectin test done. I was about a 1/2 cm, just a SLIGHT change and the test was -. Was sent home and would have an OB appt the next day. My appointment went well, other than my OB telling me not to work the rest of the week :( I woke up the next day and felt worse, something just didn't feel right ... so, I called my OB ... AGAIN! I'm sure she will be sick of me by the time this pregnancy is done, LOL. She wanted to see me ... she checked me and I made progress since being checked on Monday :( The next few words out of her mouth of course sent tears down my face ... Direct admission to Methodist Highrisk for Magnesium Sulfate to try to stop labor (the day before Thanksgiving, by the way). I was terrified that we were repeating history, only slightly earlier in this pregnancy. What am I doing wrong just kept circling my brain. I was admitted around 1:30 on Wednesday and the Magnesium was started around 3 ish. Oh my, how awful that drug is ... the gave me a 6 gm bolus over 30 min ... total TORTURE!! but I made it through. They then kept me on a continuous drip of 2 gm/hr. After the bolus was in, my contractions worsened ... coming every 3 minutes, which was the first time we had ever seen anything on the monitor for this pregnancy. Once again, tears streaming down my face, I feared delivery would be imminent. They wheeled in the US machine to make sure she was head down. (which she is, thankfully!) Finally, after another hour or so, the contractions slowed and then eventually stopped. Hallelujah, praise God!!
I remained on the Magnesium until Friday night, did well over night with no contractions, and was sent home Saturday morning!! Yay!!!! I am so thankful that the Mag worked this time around and that this baby is still cooking! So, I am now on bedrest with bathroom privileges for about 2 weeks and then my OB talked about lightening the restriction for another week or so and then possibly being able to return to work around 36 weeks.
Although being in the hospital over Thanksgiving was absolutely NO fun, we still had so much to be thankful for. We are so thankful that our baby is healthy and still cooking, and for our amazing family and friends that have been a tremendous help and support system for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the help and continued thoughts and prayers, we love you all!!!

Just a few pics from my iPhone ... My room was REALLY nice and I had a pretty sweet view of the skyline! They call it the Princess Suite :)
My handsome little visitor ... ordering up some room service! (Trust me buddy, it's YUCKY!!)
Beautiful sunrise!


I'm so glad things got better. Praying for your pregnancy to finish out the way it should, and for yours and your daughter's good health. And I like the photos. :) Hang in there girl!
ReplyDeleteThe room looks so pretty, but it looks like no fun.
ReplyDelete