Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rough Couple of Days

Monday, I left work early vomiting with a fever ... yuck! The long drive home was more miserable than usual, but I made it and went straight to bed (in the guest room) when I got home! I was told by several people that it was still ok to nurse Gabe even though I was sick, so Adam wheeled his bassinet into the guest room for me (yes, I know, he is still sleeping in that thing at night!) Well, early the next morning, Adam came in the room while I was nursing Gabe and said he didn't feel well ... uh oh!! Tuesday came, I felt a little better, Adam felt worse, and Gabe was not acting like himself. He nursed well during the night and the first feeding in the morning, but the rest of the day was a real STRUGGLE!! I ended up giving him a bottle around 10:00 AM because everytime I put him to my breast he would suck, then pull himself off and scream! He did just fine with the bottle. He slept, what seemed like a lot, so I pumped and finally gave in once again and tried a sippy cup! He did GREAT!! I was thinking, maybe he caught a little bug from me, but then I thought back over the last few days or so .....

Friday night, when I got home from work, I tried nursing Gabe. He pulled himself off several times, screamed and fussed. There was NO way I did not have enough milk! I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so finally I stopped trying and he went to sleep. He nursed fine during his night feeding and the first few feedings the next day, but in the afternoon he started again! Fussing, sucking a few times, taking himself off the breast, and crying. I'm thinking at this point ... crap!! Does he prefer a bottle now??? He did the same thing on Sunday, too! I've tried different positions, it doesn't usually help. I have tried to research what might be wrong ... so far I've come up with ...
*is my milk coming out too fast for him?
*are his gums sore?
*does he not feel well?
HELP!! I don't know what to do. I LOVE nursing, but clearly something is wrong! It makes me sad ... he usually nurses so well! Does anyone reading this have advice for me? Has this happened to anyone else??




Rotten! ... But, good boy for doing so well with a sippy cup!


3 comments:

  1. Isaac went through nursing strikes as I called them. I would just give him his bottle after I would try to nurse him. This went on for a few months then he weaned himself at 9months and now I just pump 2-3 times a day. You might try going to a breastfeeding support group. That is what I did and it truely helped. Isaac loved going on nursing strikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em I hope you're feeling better. Ugh, I know that is hard with Gab pulling off. That's what Ty did from the beginning. I never could figure it out. I wish I had some great advice. Maybe give one of our lactation consultants a call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that this is all worked out and back to normal...but do you think there is any possibility that you have thrush?? Cole had thrush in the back of his throat so I couldn't see it. Or could he have an ear infection and sucking from the breast is a harder suck therefore the pressure is worse? Maybe he has teeth coming in and again the excess pressure?? Maybe because you have been sick your milk tastes strange or is warmer/cooler?? Just throwing some things out there!!!

    ReplyDelete